Saturday, February 2, 2013

A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future. ~Author Unknown

4 1/2 years ago I had no idea how a daughter could forever change my life.  Grace has left an imprint on my heart as well as many others she has come in contact with.  It is very common for someone to mention to Rich or I how they have noticed Grace's sweet and gentle spirit.  When she started to school I worried that she would allow others to simply walk over her.  At first that is what happened but as Grace has grown I have come to realize that she is the true definition of grace- undeserved love.  Grace wears her heart on her sleeve and loves anyone she comes in contact with.

Over the past month or so Grace has said a few things that have stopped me dead in my tracks.  Some have made me laugh, some have made me cry and some have made me really think.

While driving home one night she was disappointed that her favorite Christmas lights had been taken down.  I told her she could see them again next year.  Her response was, "Momma, I may be in Heaven next year with Papaw."  This made me cry.  As I thought of friends of late who have had to bury their children  I am not guaranteed a lifetime on Earth with Grace, but I am guaranteed an eternity with her.  Grace is teaching me to live "IN" the moment, while enjoying life and to not be fearful of Heaven.

After hearing that she was going to get a baby brother in May Grace said, "I'm sort of excited."  When asked why she was sort of excited she said, "I really liked the name Ainsleigh and wanted you and daddy to use that name."  She is so honest.

This past week I attended Grace's parent/teacher conference.  Her teacher told me that she shed a few tears when she learned that Grace would not be at Canterbury in the Fall and was jealous of the teachers she would have and would get to see her everyday.  She followed the comment up by saying, "I am confident that Grace will succeed in anything she attempts."  This made me proud.  Dr. Landrigan once told Rich and I that our job was not to raise a princess but that our job was to raise someone's employee, spouse, friend, and mother.  I can't believe God picked us to raise this amazing little girl who is growing entirely too fast before our eyes.

Grace Elizabeth, I will love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
Her favorite job ever: Being the best big sister there is!  

No comments:

Post a Comment